I started these very classic art classes in November, moving gradually from HB pencil to charcoal and finally to charcoal AND white conté crayon. Hurrah!
What I learned:
- the grey paper is the mid-tone – it’s quite hard to use it as mid-tone – to just let it be
- work with charcoal and grey paper first. Add white last.
- blending the charcoal and white makes a flat grey – avoid!
- however it is possible to go over the charcoal with the crayon to some extent (with a sharp tip)
- don’t be frightened to go in quite bold – laying down a lot of charcoal – it can always be taken away
- don’t bother with a very detailed drawing – you are sculpting the drawing from the charcoal