I would never have taken on a project like this if I didn’t go to this local art class, and frankly I don’t think I ever will again. For the amount of hours involved I’m not crazy about the result. It feels a bit like a school project. That said I think it was a really good exercise for investigating tone – searching through black and white images looking for just the right tone and texture – and finding a balance of collage and paint.
- Drawing the beast (copying from a photograph)
- Outline in ink using a bamboo quill
- Ink wash for sky and water
- Gouache in black and white for body of elephant
- Clipping circles from pages of magazines and gluing in place